Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jay Rock/Strange Music/TDE

There is No logic behind that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole

this

Quote Originally Posted by King Rasta

If you really think Jay Rock is a mediocre artist, then you aren't listening properly.

Pretty much everything I said above. Co-signed 100%. Minus the part about not liking him, I do think he's an OK artist. I just know when I wanna jam the fuck out and I'm trying to decide who to listen to, Jay Rock doesn't usually come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief

I personally don't like Jay Rock...I think Strange Music should have saved his roster spot for somebody who actually needed Strange Music; And somebody Strange Music actually needed. It all comes back to does Jay Rock really appreciate Strange Music? And does Strange Music Appreciate him? They don't mesh that well Jay Rocks got multiple other connections and doesn't really need Strange Musics assistance not to mention Jay Rock fits in better with all of his other labels anyways. I feel like this Artist/Record Label didn't naturally collide, and so it was forced together which never really works out in the end. Jay Rock will hurry up release his two more albums and probably drop Strange Music never to even look back.

That's my .02 Cents

Yes there is. If you think he's only a mediocre emcee, then you obviously are not using the right "credentials" to rate him as an emcee. Just off of his one album I heard good rhyming ability, metaphors, punchlines, story-telling, various concepts and themes, truth behind his lyrics, and an overall positive and meaningful message to the youth, the audience in general, and his peers in the hip-hop community.

this

If you really think Jay Rock is a mediocre artist, then you aren't listening properly.

And I don't disagree with your opinion that you don't enjoy his music. That's fine and completely understandable. Not every emcee is for every member of an audience. But to say Jay Rock is mediocre at best is fucking preposterous. I'm not even a huge Jay Rock fan. I really enjoyed his album, but he's honestly my least favorite out of the Black Hippy crew.

Yes there is. If you think he's only a mediocre emcee, then you obviously are not using the right "credentials" to rate him as an emcee. Just off of his one album I heard good rhyming ability, metaphors, punchlines, story-telling, various concepts and themes, truth behind his lyrics, and an overall positive and meaningful message to the youth, the audience in general, and his peers in the hip-hop community.

this

Not a huge fan of Jay Rock, but he's definitely a sound emcee. His lyrics, flow, and delivery on "Kill or be Killed" prove that. I'm sure there are a lot more songs of his that might do him better justice, but I really enjoy his two verses in that particular song.

jay rock is a emcee, which was part of why Tech and Travis did the distribution deal with him and TDE. if you look at all the artists (everyone of them past and present) athey all didnt fit the same mold. Jay rock wants to tour, and Strange music gives him that ability, they also help with the branding and merchandsing so in a long run west coast fans will appreciate his presence. "all my life (ghetto) is a dope song and was orginally going to be on his warner bros release but WB didnt know what to do with him and shelved him....he uses old school PRE-dating the G funk era.

is he the "absolute best of the new west" no but he does stand out, its like BLH he stands out from other rappers, and you want your artists or artist you work with to have and be their own artist...sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt but I think Jay rock is actually a good fit with and for strange, Strange is a paradox when it comes ot music from people they were going to sign to the people that were signed and left to the ppl who are now on the label none of the artists really are alike...Kutt calhoun, big scoobSkatterman and snug brim, grant rice, and bg bulletwound all of them can (had) and could have easily made some dynamite music with some 1 like jay rock who is on that same wav length but a totally different artist.

Jay rocks follow me home still is one my fav strange cds to bump at a summer bbq all songs..but no surprise to just see haters on here that all the internet is

I doubt jay rock has left. Its been 3 years since follow me home. I've been listening to jay rock for nearly a decade. And trust me when I say there is a good reason he hasn't dropped any music. He's working on something huge. Some forget jay rock is also a black hippy member and is on tde as well.