I just thought it would be cool if we composed kind of a list of rules that we would like tech n9ne to follow while making an album, while still trying to give him all of his creative control. Again, not actually saying we print this shit out and mail it to tech n9ne, but it’d be cool to see what we come up with.
Basically we don’t limit tech’s creative control like this; We don’t tell him what to do, but we tell him what not to do. The last thing we would want to do is push him around creatively, i think we can all agree on that.
We can’t tell him who to feature on the album. But we can tell him who NOT to feature on the album. Just so we don’t end up with “fuck food 2 ft. gucci mane and soulja boi”
We can give him a wishlist though. A list that we know he will read, of artist we all agreed upon that we would like him to concider, he is by no means bound to that list though.
We can’t give him a maximum amount of time to work on the album, but we can give him a minimum amount of time. Example; take at least two days writing each song.
“no songs about the topic of _______”
I think you guys get the idea. Let’s start proposing ideas to each other and see what kind of outlines we can ultimately come up with.
personally, i’d like him to take a bunch of time with the album, so,
1. When writing a song, wait at least 2 days after you write it to record. Also, go back and maybe revise what you’ve done the day after you write it.
This is just so you can sit on it for a day or two and see if you still feel good about what you’ve written before you put it on a track.
2. No 816 boyz. please? i feel like putting an 816 boyz song on a serious album is just a wasted slot for a song that could have been really fucking good.
3. How about no strictly sex songs? On every album, the sex section of the album is the part i always end up skipping. Obvioulsy he can still rap about sex, and he can have songs about sex that have twist or different tone on it, but no pornographic, 7 words, ex.
obviously anyone’s ideas can be opposed or edited or discussed. I actually envision everyone agree on some things in this thread. Yeah i know, it’s a stretch.
1) I would like to finally hear a collabo with Bun B. UGK is one the most underappreciated groups of all time & Bun B has collaborated with almost every revelant rapper I can think of these last 20 years except Tech.
2) If he has to take some time to do a full length album, even say like an Absolute Power to Everready stretch so be it.
3) I don’t think he should totally eliminate the sex or 816 Boyz songs, just relegate them to the Collabos albums.
4) This last part is more directed at the label themselves, but even if its on tour with someone else send out the other Strange artists out to do more shows without Tech. All the other independent labels I know aren’t as dependent on their flagship artist(s), and there’s a reason for that. Maybe this is just an issue the fans in the K.C. market are dealing with, but it really shouldn’t be that way.
Childish Gambino L.E.S. Might be one of the best songs of the year. But I don’t really like most of his catelogue tbh
DJ 605 and myself have totally different tastes. I can’t stand most all those rappers. But I respect his suggestions. I’m more into the wordsmiths like Tech,Lynch,Em,Twista. Delivery is a must and Tech never really disappoints with his guests so my suggestions are just the same ol same ol
More Rittz,Twista,Lynch. Deliver Em. A YGD feature. I’ve been askin amongst others for years!!
And I agree 100% Please NO 816 Boys. Just get the Franchise Boyz and do LeanRock widit pt2…seriously tho don’t.
Hate to be that guy that says Come Gangsta but….Please do. I love songs like Victory,Sauté.
Bring the PumP in the production is probably my biggest suggestion.
Like songs that made Everready so huge. Tracks like No Can Do. Beast. Just that Huge sound.
I’m happy he’s been working with Supahotbeats aka WillPower. Delusional was great and tracks like Growin up in the Gutter, When I was High remix and the whole damn 0-60 mixtape is that huge sound.
Nothing more I’d like to hear than Tech on Dr.Dre production. Or even Kanye West. A song like Flashing Lights/I Can’t Stop/Go Hard or the breakdown in Mercy..somethn real dope like that.
And on the Rock Shit same thing just step up the production level. I’d like to hear Tech on Metallica,Chimara,Zombie. Keep workin with major respected artists.
Oh and if there’s any silent I’ll feelings goin on between Tech and Lynch than to kill it because Lynch hasn’t been on near as much shit as he shoulda been IMO
Only thing I’ve been wanting from Tech for a while is a 3-5 minute track with a bunch of short beats, no hook, just Tech ripping different styles constantly for the tracks length. Surely Tech has gone through hella beats and liked them but not had enough songs to put them on. Or even classic hip hop beats and pay homage to them the Strange way. Would be dope. My only wish.
I think we’re all on the same page here. I pretty much agree with all that has been said. No 816 Boyz; please give it a rest. If it’s just a regular sex song without that creative twist like Slither or Hunterish, leave it out. A collabo with Slug would be amazing. What I think makes a lot of us love Tech’s music is the strong emotional reaction that it evokes. I want to hear those high energy songs like the one’s on Everready like someone mentioned. I want to hear the heartfelt stuff. Tech is good at that type of music. I want to see more of it. I would like to hear him keep innovating as well. Lets hear some more experimenting with the song structure, etc. Lets hear some new concepts and ideas!
If I could say one thing, it would just be don’t rush it. Put some time into this album, I know that’s why they pushed it back to March, but if it takes longer I personally don’t care. Take as much time as it takes to make every song like it could be the best song on the album. Look at what happened the last time he took his time, we got Everready.
I’d also like for there to be minimal features but we all know that’ll never happen.