Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Tech N9ne bad for you?

Is Tech N9ne bad for you?

Recent report has shown that Tech N9ne music is bad for your mental health. Do you support this claim? What do you make of the correlation between Tech N9ne music and the rise in depression, anxiety, hatred, and anger in people with long term exposure to the music? What can you say about self induced exposure to ugly music and its' affect on people? Will not listening to Tech N9ne music lift a person from a sadness brought on by exposure to it? So, I ask, if Tech N9ne music has been found to cause so many negative symptoms, why do I keep CRANKIN' IT THE FUCK UP?!

Well, we've all seen the blogs of Tech N9ne saving lives, and through my own personal experience I can say that sometimes the darker music would make me more depressed. So I think it can go both ways, depends on the individual, some people aren't really affected at all, positively or negatively, but music can influence people. Sorry I can't go more in depth, I don't really know the affects of music on the psyche too much, going off of anecdotal evidence here.

No Tech's music is not bad for your mental health.

This debate imo is pointless. You as the listener choose to listen to Tech, you choose the songs you listen to by him and you listen to them in the way you want.

Now of course mental health can be affected by music (not just Tech's) but many other things affect that health too. That recent report, do you have a link because I bet whoever did the report didn't think or consider the hundreds of other factors that could damage the results.

I personally suffer from SAD (seasonally affected depression) however the depression is closer to bi-polar as it can come on any point throughout the year. So if I was asked to listen to Tech in summer you could easily get different results than if I listened in winter, these things have to be monitored and measured as well as the music. With that said I have never felt worse by listening to Tech, in fact, One Good Time and Suicide Letters are two songs I regularly listen to when feeling depressed.

Tech has a lot of music that resonates with people, they understand and can relate to his words, this means most people will be affected in some way by listening to his music. Like Charles said, this varies from person to person as we are all different and get stressed by different things, annoyed about different things etc...

People love to find blame. Those responsible for adding to the cause of anxiety etc will always blame music and sorts as they are either unaware of the damage they've caused or are too unwilling to accept any form of responsibility for their actions. Don't believe these bullshit reports unless they can prove it was scientifically controlled. Oh and also side note but it's amazing how much people blame shit for causing depression yet there really isn't much support for people like me, only some shitty meds that don't find the problem, just prevent it a bit.

this is a good answer, music isn't to blame, but I think music can still affect someone in an adverse way. Music is very emotional, as you said it resonates with people, so I think it can perpetuate problems, though that is not the norm I would assume. Does this mean we should stop listening to Tech? fuck no, but if you know you get sadder listening to sad music (like I do sometimes) then be responsible for yourself and don't listen to music that makes you wallow in your depression when you're already down, that's what I did. I know listening to Happy Ending and Pain Killer might make me think about suicide if I'm already down, but other times it's great for a quick little coping mechanism. It can go either way, but as you said, music isn't to blame, the depression is already there. I can't imagine someone becoming depressed from sad music, I just don't see that happening. Media does affect our thought processes though, but like I said, it varies from person to person, I think don't think this discussion is necessarily pointless, at least it tries to get people thinking (that's how I look at it and why I replied) but to OP, you did word it in an odd way. Tech N9ne is probably not bad for you, and neither is any other rapper really. Are there some people more susceptible to influences beyond their control? Probably. But I don't believe music about promiscuous sex will make most people go out and fuck without a condom in the same way GTA isn't going to make you a thug, are there some idiots out there? Yeah but those people are susceptible to any kind of influence if that's the case. There are certain things that affect a majority of us, like images of beauty on TV, but I don't think this particular topic in music makes a major difference for a large number of people. But this is just an opinion from anecdotal evidence as I said, so take it with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bliss

This debate imo is pointless. You as the listener choose to listen to Tech, you choose the songs you listen to by him and you listen to them in the way you want.

Now of course mental health can be affected by music (not just Tech's) but many other things affect that health too. That recent report, do you have a link because I bet whoever did the report didn't think or consider the hundreds of other factors that could damage the results.

I personally suffer from SAD (seasonally affected depression) however the depression is closer to bi-polar as it can come on any point throughout the year. So if I was asked to listen to Tech in summer you could easily get different results than if I listened in winter, these things have to be monitored and measured as well as the music. With that said I have never felt worse by listening to Tech, in fact, One Good Time and Suicide Letters are two songs I regularly listen to when feeling depressed.

Tech has a lot of music that resonates with people, they understand and can relate to his words, this means most people will be affected in some way by listening to his music. Like Charles said, this varies from person to person as we are all different and get stressed by different things, annoyed about different things etc...

People love to find blame. Those responsible for adding to the cause of anxiety etc will always blame music and sorts as they are either unaware of the damage they've caused or are too unwilling to accept any form of responsibility for their actions. Don't believe these bullshit reports unless they can prove it was scientifically controlled. Oh and also side note but it's amazing how much people blame shit for causing depression yet there really isn't much support for people like me, only some shitty meds that don't find the problem, just prevent it a bit.

After re-reading the original post. No OP, Tech N9ne's music has no correlation with rises in depression, anger or anxiety. lol, that's just ridiculous imo. I think the causes are much bigger than just music

I could feel this. I have major depression and general anxiety. Treatment for these things really is in it's infantcy, so a lot of times I feel like I am on my own with dealing with it. Of coarse music has effect on your emotions. The sad songs I believe have helped me more than not though. Hearing Tech express his feelings like this help me deal with it.

Music is like a drug. It affects you in similar ways. So yeah, I think it could affect your mental health negatively. I think the pros are higher than the cons though.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bliss

Now of course mental health can be affected by music (not just Tech's) but many other things affect that health too. That recent report, do you have a link because I whoever did the report didn't think or consider the hundreds of other factors that could damage the results.

People love to find blame. Those responsible for adding to the etc will always blame music and sorts as they are either unaware of the damage they've caused or are too unwilling to accept any form of responsibility for their actions. Don't believe these bullshit reports unless they can prove it was scientifically controlled. Oh and also side note but it's amazing how much people blame shit for causing depression yet there really isn't much support for people like me, only some shitty meds that don't find the problem, just prevent it a bit.

Oh and also, correlation does not imply causation. I think it's fair to say that there are a lot of fans that already suffer from some mental illness that gravitate to the music.

Strange Music ruined my life.

The dumbass people dat get affected by techs music in a bad way have serious mental health problems they should seek help for...I don't know bout them but I need techs music to get me through the day old shit and new...so fuckin hang yourself for posting this

Icp is bad for your health