Thread: Producing Questions

Producing Questions

So i have always wondered because i have no idea...What kind of Software and Hardware do Producers use to create Samples and Beats for Rappers to use.. All and Any Input would be appreciated I'm just trying to get a better understanding of it all. Do most of them just use their laptops and a program or what?

Desktop or laptop, Just depends on the person, As far as I know any software can be used for sampling, (Fruity Loops, Reason, etc) I use FL studio

Yeah, i have heard of FL studio but you think a producer like Seven uses that? No offense towards your music you produce I've never heard it. But it seems like anytime i hear a beat someone produced in FL Studios it kind of has a monotone quality about it if that makes sense.. I don't know much about Fl Studios or anything I downloaded it once but it was so complicated i couldn't figure it out. But for example i saw a video where somebody did the "Still Dre" melody and it sounded just like it but there was almost like a Nintendo feel about the way it sounded even though it was spot on....

You probably are scratching your head like WTF is this dude talking about, and truth is....I'm not sure....BUT will you show me one of your FL studio Beats so i can check it out?

Quote Originally Posted by SRH II

Desktop or laptop, Just depends on the person, As far as I know any software can be used for sampling, (Fruity Loops, Reason, etc) I use FL studio

i havent used any programs since sony acid 6 or 7, so i may not be much help. but i used to find a sample i liked in a song, and i would paste that song into acid, select the portion of the song or whatever that was the sample i wanted to use, then delete the rest of the song and fuck with the sample so it sounded like something completely different so that it was mine (kinda, lol). then i would work it into a loop or something in the beat however i felt like. And Pro Tools isnt that expensive nowadays either. You seem perfectly competent to be able to pick up a music making program quickly so I would recommend to just start with the industry standard.

What exactly is the Industry Standard? Is it like a Pro Tools Package?

Quote Originally Posted by Delusional1

i havent used any programs since sony acid 6 or 7, so i may not be much help. but i used to find a sample i liked in a song, and i would paste that song into acid, select the portion of the song or whatever that was the sample i wanted to use, then delete the rest of the song and fuck with the sample so it sounded like something completely different so that it was mine (kinda, lol). then i would work it into a loop or something in the beat however i felt like. And Pro Tools isnt that expensive nowadays either. You seem perfectly competent to be able to pick up a music making program quickly so I would recommend to just start with the industry standard.

i just said that because i think thats what most people use and what most programs get compared to. pro tools is what the majority in the music industry use to make beats and shit. im not a very good resource for this though haha. pro tools 10 i think is the latest

Quote Originally Posted by Chief

What exactly is the Industry Standard? Is it like a Pro Tools Package?

Quote Originally Posted by Delusional1

i would bet most use protools, but you can also connect reason to pro tools with by using re-wire. not sure if you can do the same with fruity loops because i don't use the program. what re-wire basically does it gives you the option to use reason sounds or programs in pro tools.

Check this video out. Its seven producing a beat. Looks like he is using logic to me, but i'm not sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0TKO...feature=relmfu

When most people think of when they think pro daws it is usually Protools, Logic and cubase. Watching videos on youtube i have noticed many big name producers using expensive hardware samplers, synthesizers, workstations and keyboards. Oh, and just because you might think FL Studio is not pro enough does not mean pros haven't used it or that it cannot make quality beats.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief

Yeah, i have heard of FL studio but you think a producer like Seven uses that? No offense towards your music you produce I've never heard it. But it seems like anytime i hear a beat someone produced in FL Studios it kind of has a monotone quality about it if that makes sense.. I don't know much about Fl Studios or anything I downloaded it once but it was so complicated i couldn't figure it out. But for example i saw a video where somebody did the "Still Dre" melody and it sounded just like it but there was almost like a Nintendo feel about the way it sounded even though it was spot on....

You probably are scratching your head like WTF is this dude talking about, and truth is....I'm not sure....BUT will you show me one of your FL studio Beats so i can check it out?

Quote Originally Posted by SRH II

Seven said in a recent interview he uses Logic and some hardware synths and shit. The quality of the beat has nothing to do with the DAW (digital audio workstation) that is used. FL Studio is a great DAW and is pretty easy to use. I know YoungFyre uses FL and he's made some bangers for the Strange camp. Technically, you can use garage band and make a dope beat if you have the right samples/ VSTs/ hardware, or whatever you're using to get your sounds. The DAW is pretty much for arrangement. To get top quality sound, it's all in the mixing/mastering. That is where you may need some better programs. I know you can mix pretty well in FL Studio. Pro Tools is industry standard, but most don't use it to compose, just to mix and master, so many people use Reason to make the beat then throw in into pro tools for mixing. I have pro tools and making beats is a bitch in it. It def gives the best quality sound, though. That's pretty much all I know and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about something lol.