Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jay Rock/Strange Music/TDE

Jay Rock/Strange Music/TDE

What's the deal with him? Are the labels still in connection where he is still under Strange as well as TDE? Cuz I remember in an interview that Tech briefly mentioned he resigned him for two more albums but Jay Rock doesn't really mention Strange in his interviews nor where his chain at all...it almost seems as though SM is uncredited and behind the scenes...not entirely sure how the "Joint contract" really works...can someone touch up on this? thanks

I don't think Jay Rock is obligated to say "STRANGE MUSIC" at the end of every interview

The most recent update I heard about Jay Rock was that he signed for another two albums with Strange.

He's making new music, maybe some our questions will be answered when his new stuff is released.

Another example of Joint contracts is Bone Thugs N Harmony even though the group was on Ruthless each member had they're own thing (Bizzy: 7 Sign, Krayzie and Wish: The Life, Layzie: Mo Thug/BTNH Ent. and Flesh: FBI/FBG) so Black Hippy is signed to Interscope while certain artists have other deals (Jay Rock's TDE/Strange set-up) but pretty much Jay Rock is a Strange artist who is being distributed by Interscope

not about an obligation, but I mean it's not like SM has NEVER held him down at all, that's all I'm saying

Quote Originally Posted by EVLNSTX

I don't think Jay Rock is obligated to say "STRANGE MUSIC" at the end of every interview

The most recent update I heard about Jay Rock was that he signed for another two albums with Strange.

He's making new music, maybe some our questions will be answered when his new stuff is released.

No artist is obligated to saying the name of their label at the end of each interview, nor dick riding them..He's more obligated to TDE..That's the label that found him and got him exposure..Tech doesnt do it..So Jay Rock shouldnt either..He's working on new music and his next 2 albums will be under strange. Thats all that matters

We all know Tech is about doing favors for people and getting favors in return...correct? Jay Rock is the most separated artist on the whole Strange crew. His is different, his flow is different, his music is different...he's a typical rap/rep the streets artist who's decent at best. Not particularly lyrical on the Strange level either.

His Strange debut was my least favorite Strange release in years, if not of all time.

That's not to say I don't like him...I'm just saying, do the math. Look at how separated he is from the Strange roster, how few his features are, and how (not) well he fits in. SM has a VERY diverse crew...so to say he doesn't fit in, is really saying something, but it's 100% true. The fact that he doesn't wear his chain really shows that his feelings towards SM and theirs towards him are mutual.

IMHO, he was signed because a) he was willing to sign and needed to start somewhere and b) he's got enough cred to potentially provide Strange with lots of good collabs...he's a connections artist basically. He will fulfill his additional 2 album contract with SM, potentially provide them with a few good connections and move on with his career.

It's too bad we couldn't have snagged Kendrick before DRE snatched him up. There's a great artist, with SHITLOADS of connections already! But he would have done the same as well.

Jay rock is TDE/Strange/Aftermath/Interscope..his solo material will be released via Tde/Strange with an extra generated background team and promotional borkerage..he as a memeber of blackhippy will have the major label swing but strange keeps it fan orientated so jay rock and his new west will have a good home the 2 albums for strange that will b forthcoming with be joint ventures its all TDE, strange offered a initial distribution deal and touring oppurtunities that a major label like aftermath wasnt doin so jay rock will do shows and be more int touch with fans and from the major label side will have more opps on larger festivals especially over seas (if he is allowed out of the country)

If you really think Jay Rock is a mediocre artist, then you aren't listening properly.

I personally don't like Jay Rock...I think Strange Music should have saved his roster spot for somebody who actually needed Strange Music; And somebody Strange Music actually needed. It all comes back to does Jay Rock really appreciate Strange Music? And does Strange Music Appreciate him? They don't mesh that well Jay Rocks got multiple other connections and doesn't really need Strange Musics assistance not to mention Jay Rock fits in better with all of his other labels anyways. I feel like this Artist/Record Label didn't naturally collide, and so it was forced together which never really works out in the end. Jay Rock will hurry up release his two more albums and probably drop Strange Music never to even look back.

That's my .02 Cents

this

Quote Originally Posted by King Rasta

If you really think Jay Rock is a mediocre artist, then you aren't listening properly.