Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something that pisses me off about MMA

Something that pisses me off about MMA

I was reading some forum stuff on an MMA web site, and it was one of those sights where you can't post your own topic unless your on O.G. super MMA site pimp status lol, so I thought I would post it here for any MMA fans.

What pisses me off is people being able to turn down fights. For instance the pound for pound best fighter in the world, Anderson Silva, says that he would never ever fight another Brazilian, or one of his training partners or friends either. A lot of guys do this and its bullshit. I think if you hold a championship belt, you should have to fight WHOEVER the UFC says is your most worthy opponent, or you should have to give up your belt.

It's like if the Boston Celtics made it to the NBA finals to play the Dallas Mavericks for the championship and Kevin Garnett was like "Nah son, I ain't playin against the fuckin Mavericks, Dirk Nowitsky is my best friend yo."

it just shows friends are closer then a title or being the best, gotta stay loyal to a homie

I can see your point, but if you wanna be the best shouldn't you have to beat and defend your title against the best? It's a sport and if you fight your home boy for a world championship, that is the biggest show of respect you could possibly have. If you really are tight, you will still be friends after the match, if your not, then you weren't that close to begin with.

Fighting is different than playing basketball.

In basketball, you don't have to beat your friend senseless. People would hold back in fights with their friends, out of fear of seriously hurting them.

co sign

Quote Originally Posted by C-Hen
    I can see your point, but if you wanna be the best shouldn't you have to beat and defend your title against the best? It's a sport and if you fight your home boy for a world championship, that is the biggest show of respect you could possibly have. If you really are tight, you will still be friends after the match, if your not, then you weren't that close to begin with.

Yeahh I think you picked the wrong person to make an example out of Lol. Cause Anderson Silva is a badass regardless of who he fights. Either way, I think what was said above me, is right. I don't think I would wanna fight my best friend even if it meant I was gonna hold the belt for the weight I was in. And if I lost, I wouldn't want my friend to be able to say, remember that one time I kicked the shit outta you?? That was funny huh? Lol.

Then you agree with your friend to have a submissions only match, see who can out grapple who. I agree I wouldn't want to smash the fuck out of my friends face either lol, but if I had to hit him up with an armbar to win the match its cool, as long as he taps then there is no permanent damage.

Quote Originally Posted by KirbyTheAlmighty
    Fighting is different than playing basketball.

In basketball, you don't have to beat your friend senseless. People would hold back in fights with their friends, out of fear of seriously hurting them.

Anderson Silva is a badass, no denying that. I kind of look at him like the Michael Jordan of MMA, I actually think he would have a chance against Fedor Emelianenko, but I think flat out the best should have to fight the best period, if not it is really unfair to the fans who throw down 50 bucks to watch a pay per view of superstars who are hand picking/ducking opponents, it doesn't matter the reason. I think if you are number 1 in the world and hold a belt, and your best buddy is ranked number 2, and you refuse to fight him you should have your belt stripped and you should both be non eligible to hold the title in that weight , permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Techn9cian4life
    Yeahh I think you picked the wrong person to make an example out of Lol. Cause Anderson Silva is a badass regardless of who he fights. Either way, I think what was said above me, is right. I don't think I would wanna fight my best friend even if it meant I was gonna hold the belt for the weight I was in. And if I lost, I wouldn't want my friend to be able to say, remember that one time I kicked the shit outta you?? That was funny huh? Lol.

Idk about the whole stripping of the belt thing. I think if they both agree about not wanting to fight each other, Dana White can't force them to fight. I think the past few PPVs have been amazing. Even this past Ultimate Fighter Finale was pretty badass. I'm lookin forward to this BJ Penn fight too. In my opinion, I haven't been disappointed with the match ups they've come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Hen
    Anderson Silva is a badass, no denying that. I kind of look at him like the Michael Jordan of MMA, I actually think he would have a chance against Fedor Emelianenko, but I think flat out the best should have to fight the best period, if not it is really unfair to the fans who throw down 50 bucks to watch a pay per view of superstars who are hand picking/ducking opponents, it doesn't matter the reason. I think if you are number 1 in the world and hold a belt, and your best buddy is ranked number 2, and you refuse to fight him you should have your belt stripped and you should both be non eligible to hold the title in that weight , permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Techn9cian4life

Your probably referring to Silva vs Machida. Well for one they are two different weight es. But that fight doesnt matter anymore because I dont believe Machida is clearly the best lightheavyweight, Shogun proved that. But yeah if they were both in the same weight , Dana White and the public would eventually force them to fight.