Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So i wanna ask everybody's honest opinion for this research paper that I'm doin for school....

So i wanna ask everybody's honest opinion for this research paper that I'm doin for school....

ok, so its an inquiry paper on why the messages portrayed in rap are eaten up so fungrily. In other words, why is it that most of the rappers who sell a shit ton, and the select few who do go platinum, rap about shit like sex, guns, drugs? Why is it that there's not a lot of positive messages in a so called "successful" rapper's songs? Why is it that someone like Tech can put his heart and soul into his music and talk bout his life not sell, but someone like Lil Wayne does?

And one other thought, why is it that rap is the only genre of music that you can go platinum in when rapping/singing about the same shit over and over? Correct me if i'm wrong, i'm not gonna be pissed, but that kinda thing doesn't happen in country or rock music.

wayne only went plat cuz of lollipop, kids and women ate tht shit up period, one song can make u plat, ask soulja boy.
    2 us techs had tht one song many times, but ppl turn there nose up 2 it, cuz they think hes a devil worshipper which isnt true at all.......and sex, drugs and violence sells cuz, "its cool"..lol.i know its stupid but kids 13-21 think there gonna get rich off of weed, and gonna get there point across with guns, and of course they think the most sex makes u the man..it is way redundent as fuck, i cant listen 2 much rap anymore, tech mainly and very few others, i still listen 2 old school shit tho, but yeah it dosent make sense at all......but we live in a world where ur status depends on ur wallet ur biitches ur guns, which dosent get u anywhere in the long run, its retarded.....and half the rapper tht rap tht shit dont even live it, few do, but mostly its jus entertainment, but the youngsters take tht shit 2 heart and think thts the ticket in life...and ur rite there arent many postive songs blowin up and gettin big of a positive message cuz sex, drugs and violence sells..everywhere

Wayne went plat before Lollipop was made..

And Tech has always rapped about sex, drugs, and violence.

Quote Originally Posted by mizeryluvkompany
    wayne only went plat cuz of lollipop, kids and women ate tht shit up period, one song can make u plat, ask soulja boy.
    2 us techs had tht one song many times, but ppl turn there nose up 2 it, cuz they think hes a devil worshipper which isnt true at all.......and sex, drugs and violence sells cuz, "its cool"..lol.i know its stupid but kids 13-21 think there gonna get rich off of weed, and gonna get there point across with guns, and of course they think the most sex makes u the man..it is way redundent as fuck, i cant listen 2 much rap anymore, tech mainly and very few others, i still listen 2 old school shit tho, but yeah it dosent make sense at all......but we live in a world where ur status depends on ur wallet ur biitches ur guns, which dosent get u anywhere in the long run, its retarded.....and half the rapper tht rap tht shit dont even live it, few do, but mostly its jus entertainment, but the youngsters take tht shit 2 heart and think thts the ticket in life...and ur rite there arent many postive songs blowin up and gettin big of a positive message cuz sex, drugs and violence sells..everywhere

Yea, But Tech Does It Because That's His Life...He Isn't Rappin' A Fairytale Like 99% Of Most Rappers Nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by tech200n9ne

I think erbody trys to do their own shit.

Tech is just strong enough to stay true to himself, Yaddimean

what album went plat then, cuz idk......and tech does rap real shit tht we all do, sex, drugs, and not so much violence i dont think, jus the horrorcore fairytail type stuff mostly but wut im sayin is tech dosent do it in a glorifying way i dont feel, he does it in more of a tormented soul trying 2 fight 4 good over evil...tech more sex fueld 4 sure, which we all have tht temptation, and he suffered from it he dosent play it off like hes the man, hes broken cuz of it by losing his wife and kids over it....i dont think he glorafies it like most rappers...its most all entertainment tht kids take 2 far......
    but i am curious as 2 wut wayne album went plat b4 the carter 3??? nun!!

Nas is pretty positive.

Yeah I realize that Tech raps his life, but he does rap about everything you mentioned. Not saying that its bad or anything because Tech raps better than most rappers now days. If I'm not mistaken The block is hot, and the carter 1 went platinum.

what album went plat then, cuz idk......and tech does rap real shit tht we all do, sex, drugs, and not so much violence i dont think, jus the horrorcore fairytail type stuff mostly but wut im sayin is tech dosent do it in a glorifying way i dont feel, he does it in more of a tormented soul trying 2 fight 4 good over evil...tech more sex fueld 4 sure, which we all have tht temptation, and he suffered from it he dosent play it off like hes the man, hes broken cuz of it by losing his wife and kids over it....i dont think he glorafies it like most rappers...its most all entertainment tht kids take 2 far......
    but i am curious as 2 wut wayne album went plat b4 the carter 3??? nun!!

first you gotta look where rap came from.then you have to look at the evolution of the music,technology,and marketing schemes that rap turned into today.Now you might have trouble with when you compare artists of the present times to the content that is being put out.In the 90's you actually did have artists who went platinum when they rapped about sex,drugs,violence and money.Now its just like tech said "it aint about the music its all about the fame".When you look at the successful artists of today the message isnt as raw as it was in the 90's.Its more of a club type of vibe and they seem to talk about patron and cristelle more than anything else.I would say sit down and listen to your local hiphop radio station for a week and dissect the lyrical content to a T.Now there might be a problem with your inquiry question.There were only 3 artists to go platiinum in 2008 and that was lil wayne,t.i.and kanye.The majority of T.I.'s lyrics do contain substance and they are culturally insightful.Kanye's 808's and heartbreak album was a pop album which was more of a r&b record.Lil wayne as of recent is you average masogonistic successful mc.Now the when you look at which artists get the most radio play or video time,it really isnt about the message of the lyrics.Its about the political machine that is behind all these successful artists.When you look at the ten most successful mainstream acts of 2008,notice one thing.
    There are 10 different ppl but only 3 or 4 different record labels between all of them.4 or 5 of them are from def jam alone!!Kanye,luda,young jeezy and nas all have had positive messages in thier singles at on point or another.So really the content is not what makes you famous its the record label behind the artist that does.As i said earlier, artists back in the day were talking about the violence guns drugs and sex a hell of a lot more than nowa days.I.e.tupac,nwa,too short,ice cube,mobb deep,nas,biggie,jay z,outkast,2 live crew,cypress hill,wutang and many many more.But what has changed is not the content but the message.Mainstream hiphop is no longer a 90's fad anymore.Its a multimilion dollar business.Its commercialized.Its no longer about the lyrical contant. Its about a catchy phrase(chorus) and good production.its about numbers and a well known name.Its all about the fame!And def jam priority and arista are the most famous labels in the industry.

Tech eats bitches and shoots at people? C'mn son....lol at thinking everything in rap has to be real.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron
    Yea, But Tech Does It Because That's His Life...He Isn't Rappin' A Fairytale Like 99% Of Most Rappers Nowadays.