Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In the North....not many people feel Tech...?

In the North....not many people feel Tech...?

I was up in Michigan earlier this summer (up, because I'm from Oklahoma) ... and i was hanging out with my cousin (DJ/producer/rapper) and some of his buddies who are also rappers, and pretty damn good ones...we're all just kickin it talking about music and what not...asked them if they like Tech N9ne and Strange Music....the answer: nawww man I don't like his , but they love Twista... Now, these are rappers and producers in Detroit...underground music lives there, Strange Music's just doesn't click there I guess...but there's so many juggalo's/lettes cause that's where it all started and what not so it's kind of odd people up there don't know a lot of his music. To each his own though, they know rap and how to do it so I don't mind their opinions, I do however get mad at people that don't know rap, talking about Tech like he's the worst haha... Basically I'm just wondering, is the street teams there weak...or maybe there isn't a lot of them? Or maybe SM just isn't Dirty D material...I don't know? I just think Michigan and other northern states don't really know Tech's music like the lower Midwest does...I'm sure there's people from Michigan on here so it would be cool if you commented.... That's my rant, just random thoughts, whatever haha.

No idea there bro. I am from MN and I know a lot of my buddies and random people i've met like Tech a lot and he is like a musical god to me! I guess overall people just like there own of music. It almost always starts when your young and what you grew up with. If I for example listened to country on a road trip with my parents when I was little I would be into country but I absolutely HATE country and I grew up in the country in MN. So I don't know. I'm sure since he is the #1 selling underground rapper they still give him a lot of credit for what he does, but in the big picture they don't understand and therefore don't care for his .

Yeah that's true...I'm not nut riding and whining about people not liking Tech/Strange Music haha...just wondering why his isn't "clicking" there ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    No idea there bro. I am from MN and I know a lot of my buddies and random people i've met like Tech a lot and he is like a musical god to me! I guess overall people just like there own of music. It almost always starts when your young and what you grew up with. If I for example listened to country on a road trip with my parents when I was little I would be into country but I absolutely HATE country and I grew up in the country in MN. So I don't know. I'm sure since he is the #1 selling underground rapper they still give him a lot of credit for what he does, but in the big picture they don't understand and therefore don't care for his .

I grew up in the surrounding suburbs of Detroit and I know a good amount of people who love Tech. I work with at least...5 or 6 people who like him, granted, a lot of people who 'like' Tech have only heard the likes of Caribou Lou. But I always tell people to get on that shit, and tell em to look up the rest of Strange's shit cause there's a lot to offer. I'm gonna start making Tech Mixes just so I can give em to people if they've heard one or two songs that they like, maybe a couple songs from each of his albums...I'm tryin to do my part. TECH N9NE!

That's cool man...that's what I'm saying, get some street team stuff going on there, spread the word.

Quote Originally Posted by sorryNshit
    I grew up in the surrounding suburbs of Detroit and I know a good amount of people who love Tech. I work with at least...5 or 6 people who like him, granted, a lot of people who 'like' Tech have only heard the likes of Caribou Lou. But I always tell people to get on that shit, and tell em to look up the rest of Strange's shit cause there's a lot to offer. I'm gonna start making Tech Mixes just so I can give em to people if they've heard one or two songs that they like, maybe a couple songs from each of his albums...I'm tryin to do my part. TECH N9NE!

Good points.

The thing is, they've got so many rappers it's crazy, even their no label, undergrounders are raw.

Tech just isn't the rap they like up there I guess, I'm open to basically any kind of music so it's kinda hard for me to understand why they wouldn't like just a good rapper. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie
    Michigan doesn't know alot about tech. Seriously. A lottttttttttttttt of people hate on ICP and ICP related things. It's just not "gangster" enough... They know I'm a Playa and a couple other tracks but that's bout as far as it goes...
    I heard a couple tracks back when i was like 13 but i was heavy into icp when i was a kid. i stopped listenin to icp never got into tech and shit and then my ex bf from MO got me into tech and i've been addicted ever since. but i HATE icp right now. listened to all the old cds and wanted to punch myself repeatedly in the face for doing it. Detroit rappers live a Detroit mentality. Hustlin, murder, money, cars, etc. The materialistic. Not to be a cunt, but they COULD relate to tech if they'd stop overdosin on the cool and give it a listen. They dont do the whole clown painted face dealy. At least those i've come in contact with. That is all

well To be honest..ALot of Emcee's in & From Detroit..Hate on katz from other area's the saying is "If you ain't from the D, you don't know the D" and its a seriously Wide assed place, I mean Whether ppl like ICP is regardless..I mean other than ICP/Psychopathic, You got ppl like Eminem, D12, Kid Rock (hey I know he doesnt really do rap any more but in the beginning yeah he did) , royce da 5'9, King Gordy, Esham, Awesome dre, so many other people, and really Detroit is so dirty grimey, and the city is a burnt out husk of itself...it reflects in the s of Every rapper from there.

Kansas city, is raw, and different. I mean if you look at Detroit Or Michigan Rap music in general that state is the only state As poor (if not womore so) than New Orleans Lousiana...Growing up in a area known for its collapsed social economy, the only way most ppl feel able to surivive is to go crooked.

Because of Tech N9ne's willingness to work with & perform with acts like ICP he still has alot of his own people hating on him. Detroit is FAMOUS for Emcee's hating each other in their own town...its rediculous....Really its like that with ALL hip-hop/Rap acts..everyone seems to hate everyone else..hence why "beef" is what makes this industry anymore.

Tech Really is different because he really does Try to avoid beefin with other acts and artists.

The thing with Street teams is Not only is alot of it being handled more on the internet front, but alot of street teamers dont put all their into it. Strange music is 1 of the few labels that still has a physcial presence.

Quote Originally Posted by SRH22
    That's cool man...that's what I'm saying, get some street team stuff going on there, spread the word.

Quote Originally Posted by sorryNshit

hahah yeah man i had some dude argueing with me saying Twista is the Fastest rapper out there an i know he can fast rap but i was like dude twista's music aint got shit on Tech listen to this i put on Be Warned an he didnt speak the rest of the night dude got shut down

Quote Originally Posted by SRH22
    Yeah that's true...I'm not nut riding and whining about people not liking Tech/Strange Music haha...just wondering why his isn't "clicking" there ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve

I know what ur sayin.. I live in michigan n I think the main prob is ppl never heard of tech.. I've been spreadin it in my city. It started with me here and I've got dozens hooked. We just gotta keep ppl up on shit. I've been makin cds for ppl n bringin ppl to shows. It'll get bigger here.. Ppl can't help but like good music it just has to grow on em I guess.. We got love tho