Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Issues on Piracy

Issues on Piracy

Ok, so I think its fair to say most people pirate music. Period. Now you might think its a terrible thing if you don't but look at this:

This might be true if record labels paid bands all the money from their album sales - but they don't. Artists make the overwhelming majority of their revenue from live concerts and special engagement tickets, and merchandise sales. Record companies make money off album sales. They effectively buy the artist's work, and act as though they own the rights to distribute it, but they don't own the artist or their ability to perform their own music. Music piracy doesn't pirate concert tickets, that's the job of the growing ticket-sales racket both on and off-line, which has sparked its own controversies lately as more fans (including pirates) try to support their favorite bands by paying to see them. This argument could even be taken a step further by poising a rhetorical questions: "How many people have gone to pay for tickets at a concert featuring a band that they first discovered due to pirated/redistributed material?"

Of course this wouldn't apply to independent record labels (i.e. Strange) but big record labels yes.

Thoughts?

Link: http://beatcrave.com/2009-07-02/digital-music-piracy/

I don't give a fuck if someone downloads from a major record label. People come here saying oh I'm a huge tech n9ne fan yet will dl his music in a heart beat and not buy it. Support your artist, The money earned on record sales is used to tour and some people wonder why tech isn't coming to their area, Record sales also get recorded so if sales are low in your area The tour isn't going to come there.

i agree with you, except for the fact that if a record label makes less money then other acts wont be signed or even worse other acts on the label will get the boot just because albums aren't getting sold. and we all know it wouldn't be one of these dudes like lil wayne getting kicked off, but proly a lesser known artist with more talent

I look at it this way if someone walked into your work and took what u worked hard on how would u feel? By pirating music it is stealing their work

Quote Originally Posted by reel_life_problemz
    i agree with you, except for the fact that if a record label makes less money then other acts wont be signed or even worse other acts on the label will get the boot just because albums aren't getting sold. and we'll know it wouldn't be one of these dudes like lil wayne getting kicked off, but proly a lesser known artist probably with more talent

[img]http://counters.gigya.com/wildfire/IMP/CXNID=2000002.0NXC/bT*xJmx*PTEyNDY2NTIyOTQzMTImcHQ9MTI*NjY1MjMzODg5MCZwPTE1ODM2MSZkPSZnPTEmdD*mbz1hMDRjOGQzZThmMmM*NDYxYjJmNjkxYjI3OTdlMGRiOCZvZj*w.gif[/img]Now playing: Big Shot 024

[object]http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player200.swf[/object]

EVERYBODY.FEEL FREE TO CLICK ON THE PLAYER AND GET MY MUSIC FOR FREE!

maybe i shouldn't have put in there that i agree, my point was though that pirating music does affect the artists. and i make pizza, so...............

Quote Originally Posted by Nor*Cal Tech Squad
    I look at it this way if someone walked into your work and took what u worked hard on how would u feel? By pirating music it is stealing their work

i agree with you, except for the fact that if a record label makes less money then other acts wont be signed or even worse other acts on the label will get the boot just because albums aren't getting sold. and we'll know it wouldn't be one of these dudes like lil wayne getting kicked off, but proly a lesser known artist probably with more talent

so if someone came in and stole a pizza they would be arrested.

maybe i shouldn't have put in there that i agree, my point was though that pirating music does affect the artists. and i make pizza, so...............

Quote Originally Posted by Nor*Cal Tech Squad

hopefully not, i do it all the time.

U work their it's different.

hopefully not, i do it all the time.

what if the guy stole a $15 dollar pizza, then came back and paid $30 to watch you make a pizza and then bought a $15 t-shirt from the pizza place