Thread: XBox 360 help

XBox 360 help

This is not a fan boy thread so please refrain from that if you can. I own a PS3 and my kids have a Wii but they keep talking about how they want an XBox with Kinect for Christmas. I checked online and there are like a 100 different versions. 250 gb, 4 gb, Elite, Arcade etc and I am supremely confused. I need some of you Xbox guys to help me out if you could.

They will primarily use the system for Kinect only type games but I may venture in to the online side of Xbox to see what the games are about but I'm sure I will primarily stay on PS3. Need the advice on the correct system for these applications. Memory, RRoD and any other insigth to the best choice would be greatly appreciated. If I am overlloking something, please let me know, the more info the better. Thanks in advance.

the RRoD isnt really a problem anymore with the new units, even on the entry level. but yea, i went through 4 in less than a 2 years period and just said fuck it and with back to sony.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crazy Englishman!
    The best advice would be don't buy the Kinect haha, but if you are, go for the Elite, as far as I know they fuck up less. I've had mine for a couple years and haven't had any problems. Haven't had any of the newer issue of the arcade, 250gb etc, so they may have gotten better, but my first 360 broke after about a year.

the arcade version does not have a hardrive from my experiece. i have an Xbox 20GB i would sell you, buit i dont have the kinect.

The slims are the newest model. They come in 4GB or 250GB and have built in Wi-Fi. The older, bigger models that come as Arcade (no HDD), Pro (20-60GB), and Elite (120GB) have no built in wifi and the 20GBpro models dont include HDMI. If you want wifi on a console that doesnt have it they do have an accessory. They also sell bigger HDD for memory expansion.

If your gonna play online or with Kinect your gonna want a console with memory. So the arcade and the 4GB (because of the very limited space) are kinda bad choices. You can use flash drives as memory cards though if you want the arcade or 4GB. Every console could RROD because it's a hardware failure notification, just like the PS3 with the yellow light. The older the console is the more chance you have of it being in the "high failure rate" group. Anything post 2008-2009 SHOULD be ok.

If I was in your position I would buy a 60-120GB fat model or the 250GB slim. The 4GB slim would also be fine if you know you wont be downloading any DLC or arcade games and just want if for the kids to enjoy kinect. You cant always buy a new HDD later.

Hope this helped

What does the Elite have over the rest? If the arcade has no hard drive can you use a flash drive for storage? Does the Kinect suck? Thanks for the info so far, keep it coming.

this dude must work for microsoft. or game stop.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTom

The slims are the newest model. They come in 4GB or 250GB and have built in Wi-Fi. The older, bigger models that come as Arcade (no HDD), Pro (20-60GB), and Elite (120GB) have no built in wifi and the 20GBpro models dont include HDMI. If you want wifi on a console that doesnt have it they do have an accessory. They also sell bigger HDD for memory expansion.

If your gonna play online or with Kinect your gonna want a console with memory. So the arcade and the 4GB (because of the very limited space) are kinda bad choices. You can use flash drives as memory cards though if you want the arcade or 4GB. Every console could RROD because it's a hardware failure notification, just like the PS3 with the yellow light. The older the console is the more chance you have of it being in the "high failure rate" group. Anything post 2008-2009 SHOULD be ok.

If I was in your position I would buy a 60-120GB fat model or the 250GB slim. The 4GB slim would also be fine if you know you wont be downloading any DLC or arcade games and just want if for the kids to enjoy kinect. You cant always buy a new HDD later.

Hope this helped

Thanks man, great info and alot of help. I really appreciate it.

Hope this helped

If you went through 4 in less than 2 years: 1. That is some horrible terrible luck 2. Why didn't you use the extended warranty to let Microsoft fix one of them instead of keep buying consoles? I had one of the first consoles and it got the 3 red lights. Sent it to MS and they fixed it for free because of the extended warranty they had on the high failure consoles. Used it for 2 years until I sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarStoner
    the RRoD isnt really a problem anymore with the new units, even on the entry level. but yea, i went through 4 in less than a 2 years period and just said fuck it and with back to sony.
    The best advice would be don't buy the Kinect haha, but if you are, go for the Elite, as far as I know they fuck up less. I've had mine for a couple years and haven't had any problems. Haven't had any of the newer issue of the arcade, 250gb etc, so they may have gotten better, but my first 360 broke after about a year.

they fixed it each time, sent me the box and all that shit to send it in. It just crapped out 3 times after the first rrod repair. should have specified that i went through 3 repairs, and the 4th time it died i just said fuck it. to much hassle to deal with.

If you went through 4 in less than 2 years: 1. That is some horrible terrible luck 2. Why didn't you use the extended warranty to let Microsoft fix one of them instead of keep buying consoles? I had one of the first consoles and it got the 3 red lights. Sent it to MS and they fixed it for free because of the extended warranty they had on the high failure consoles. Used it for 2 years until I sold it.

understandable and it does make a lot more sense after you clarified.

they fixed it each time, sent me the box and all that shit to send it in. It just crapped out 3 times after the first rrod repair. should have specified that i went through 3 repairs, and the 4th time it died i just said fuck it. to much hassle to deal with.