Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Building a Computer and Buying Parts?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Siikez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,113

    Building a Computer and Buying Parts?


    Sooo I'm trying to buy parts to build a computer, I know nothing about doing so -_-


    I was going to buy a prebuilt one from the US and have it sent her because NZ charges like 3x the price after exchange rate. $4000nz for a $1700us laptop my fuckin' ass. And the American dollar is climbing again so importing one is slowly falling out of reality for me..



    I know I should be posting in a computer forum, but those fuckers speak lingo that goes waaay over my head and don't take time for noobs. So thought I'd see what my fammo can help with lol.



    I want a Desktop.. that can play intense games on the highest settings, and have enough RAM to handle huge images in Photoshop. So basically a gaming/design computer.



    Buying the right parts is a bitch, because I know fuckin' nothing about it..


    I figure I want atleast 8GB of RAM, that should be able to handle Photoshop tapping into excess RAM than the 3GB cap. I want to be able to atleast give Photoshop access to 6GB.


    But what brand? 4x2GB? 2x4GB? 1x8GB? O_o Does that matter at all? lol


    I was thinking about thisss.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820226200



    Video Card... I know the least about what's good.. is 1GB enough? I kind of want more than that, maybe 1.5GB.. or 2? lol I don't know. What's a good one? I was thinking about thissss.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814261101 is there a newer version? I know there's a 2GB version but someone who has the 1GB version said this about the 2GB


    "wont make a? diff...the 560 ti's bottlenecks wont let the extra memory be utilized...so all u will have is a high res slide show...Ur better off saving and getting a gtx 580 if ur concerned about VRAM" Which I have no fucking idea what that means lol.



    CPU.. havn't done any researching into that yet so I have no thoughts on what to get.. I'm hoping atleast Quad Core i7? or w/e it's fuckin' called.. lol. I want it to be beast ofcourse..



    What other computer parts do I need? LOL heaps right? The price is in the Video Card and CPU I'm guessing so everything else is cheaper..



    If you know aaaaaaaanything about buying parts can you post some parts? I'm gonna spend atleast 2000nz which is about 1700us at the moment.. Any help is appreciated!




  2. #2

  3. #3
    Senior Member Siikez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,113
    www.mexicunt.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Dukecityspecialist

  4. #4
    Senior Member Siikez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,113
    But really, somebody help a kiwi out.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Se7en01's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    201


    1) You're already doing yourself a favor by looking at Newegg.com. that is definitely the place you want to buy from. Best customer service and best products. period.





    2) Things you need. CPU, Motherboard (make sure those 2 are compatible with each other. newegg has combo deals if your worried about picking 2 peices that wont work together), RAM (2 sticks of 4gb at least imo), Video card, Power Supply, Big ass internal harddrive (if you wanna spend money, i recommend getting a 60 gb solid state drive to install your operating system on, and a 2TB HD for all of your other shit. the 60 gb SSD will boot up your OS in seconds), DVD/CD/BRD drive, A kickass case with lots of fans and cool LED's to make everyone jealous, A nasty monitor (at least 24 in), and whatever other drives or cards you want.





    3) basically just look at one of Neweggs DIY kits and add your own flavor to it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Siikez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,113
    Well damn! That sounds beast lol. My major problem though is that newegg.com doesn't ship internationally (too my knowledge), and the only other place is canada, which also doesn't ship internationally, so I think I need to get parts forwarded from a local american address but I need to find a safe and legit company that does it. If I buy in America it's sooo much cheaper. I want to spend atleast 2000NZ which is currently 1657.20US Fuck lol it was like 1750US yesterday. Thanks a lot man, I'll try build my rig around those specs. Any ideas on brands/models for the parts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Se7en01

    1) You're already doing yourself a favor by looking at Newegg.com. that is definitely the place you want to buy from. Best customer service and best products. period.





    2) Things you need. CPU, Motherboard (make sure those 2 are compatible with each other. newegg has combo deals if your worried about picking 2 peices that wont work together), RAM (2 sticks of 4gb at least imo), Video card, Power Supply, Big ass internal harddrive (if you wanna spend money, i recommend getting a 60 gb solid state drive to install your operating system on, and a 2TB HD for all of your other shit. the 60 gb SSD will boot up your OS in seconds), DVD/CD/BRD drive, A kickass case with lots of fans and cool LED's to make everyone jealous, A nasty monitor (at least 24 in), and whatever other drives or cards you want.





    3) basically just look at one of Neweggs DIY kits and add your own flavor to it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Se7en01's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    201


    as far as cpu's go, your 2 brand options are intel or AMD....go with an intel-i7 quadcore (they also have 6-core...but i think they are expensive and probably overkill). there are lots of different specs, and i honestly dont know too much about them yet, but just check out reviews and things like that. I've read good things about Gigabyte and Asus motherboards, so thats what i plan on going with when i build mine at the end of the summer...





    and with everything else, i'd have to say i'm not educated enough to give you an unquestionable opinion. user reviews are golden, and newegg thrives off of that. even if you are unable to buy through newegg, i would still go there for the user reviews, and then buy the item elsewhere if you have to.





    I have been in "BUILD MY OWN CUSTOM COMPUTER!!!" mode since the beginning of summer when i started getting a good paycheck. i keep talking myself into and out of buying/building one...i want to make sure i "future-proof" it, but i keep thinking i should wait a little longer until the next best thing comes out. pretty sooon i'm just gonna break down and do it




    Quote Originally Posted by Siikez
    Well damn! That sounds beast lol. My major problem though is that newegg.com doesn't ship internationally (too my knowledge), and the only other place is canada, which also doesn't ship internationally, so I think I need to get parts forwarded from a local american address but I need to find a safe and legit company that does it. If I buy in America it's sooo much cheaper. I want to spend atleast 2000NZ which is currently 1657.20US Fuck lol it was like 1750US yesterday. Thanks a lot man, I'll try build my rig around those specs. Any ideas on brands/models for the parts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Se7en01

    1) You're already doing yourself a favor by looking at Newegg.com. that is definitely the place you want to buy from. Best customer service and best products. period.





    2) Things you need. CPU, Motherboard (make sure those 2 are compatible with each other. newegg has combo deals if your worried about picking 2 peices that wont work together), RAM (2 sticks of 4gb at least imo), Video card, Power Supply, Big ass internal harddrive (if you wanna spend money, i recommend getting a 60 gb solid state drive to install your operating system on, and a 2TB HD for all of your other shit. the 60 gb SSD will boot up your OS in seconds), DVD/CD/BRD drive, A kickass case with lots of fans and cool LED's to make everyone jealous, A nasty monitor (at least 24 in), and whatever other drives or cards you want.





    3) basically just look at one of Neweggs DIY kits and add your own flavor to it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Siikez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,113


    Ah, dope, yeah I was gonna try to go with a quadcore, I'll keep checkin around and build myself a list. I have a feeling I'm gonna have to end up paying NZ prices for the parts That'll be another 1500 ontop of the 2000 lol. Yeah man, I build myself up and then back out all the time, reading laptop and desktop reviews was too much stress, finding a good one then read a review cursing it to hell was demoralizing lolol. So I'm gonna attempt to save cash and stress and build my own. I'm gonna try not to worry about what's around the corner, everything ends up 2x better in about 2 years anyway so I'm gonna buy hard when I get the cash and worry later 8-) Haha. Thanks for the help bro, it's taken quite a bit of work off my shoulders. I'm more looking forward to choosing a case than anything else lmfao they all look so damn cool lol.



    Quote Originally Posted by Se7en01

    as far as cpu's go, your 2 brand options are intel or AMD....go with an intel-i7 quadcore (they also have 6-core...but i think they are expensive and probably overkill). there are lots of different specs, and i honestly dont know too much about them yet, but just check out reviews and things like that. I've read good things about Gigabyte and Asus motherboards, so thats what i plan on going with when i build mine at the end of the summer...





    and with everything else, i'd have to say i'm not educated enough to give you an unquestionable opinion. user reviews are golden, and newegg thrives off of that. even if you are unable to buy through newegg, i would still go there for the user reviews, and then buy the item elsewhere if you have to.





    I have been in "BUILD MY OWN CUSTOM COMPUTER!!!" mode since the beginning of summer when i started getting a good paycheck. i keep talking myself into and out of buying/building one...i want to make sure i "future-proof" it, but i keep thinking i should wait a little longer until the next best thing comes out. pretty sooon i'm just gonna break down and do it



    Quote Originally Posted by Siikez
    Well damn! That sounds beast lol. My major problem though is that newegg.com doesn't ship internationally (too my knowledge), and the only other place is canada, which also doesn't ship internationally, so I think I need to get parts forwarded from a local american address but I need to find a safe and legit company that does it. If I buy in America it's sooo much cheaper. I want to spend atleast 2000NZ which is currently 1657.20US Fuck lol it was like 1750US yesterday. Thanks a lot man, I'll try build my rig around those specs. Any ideas on brands/models for the parts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Se7en01

    1) You're already doing yourself a favor by looking at Newegg.com. that is definitely the place you want to buy from. Best customer service and best products. period.





    2) Things you need. CPU, Motherboard (make sure those 2 are compatible with each other. newegg has combo deals if your worried about picking 2 peices that wont work together), RAM (2 sticks of 4gb at least imo), Video card, Power Supply, Big ass internal harddrive (if you wanna spend money, i recommend getting a 60 gb solid state drive to install your operating system on, and a 2TB HD for all of your other shit. the 60 gb SSD will boot up your OS in seconds), DVD/CD/BRD drive, A kickass case with lots of fans and cool LED's to make everyone jealous, A nasty monitor (at least 24 in), and whatever other drives or cards you want.





    3) basically just look at one of Neweggs DIY kits and add your own flavor to it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Se7en01's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    201


    haha. cosign on everything you just said, except the fact that you have to pay extra for being foreign. that kinda sucks for you let me know when you finally build it, or post some pics or something. let me know if you need anymore help.



    Quote Originally Posted by Siikez

    Ah, dope, yeah I was gonna try to go with a quadcore, I'll keep checkin around and build myself a list. I have a feeling I'm gonna have to end up paying NZ prices for the parts That'll be another 1500 ontop of the 2000 lol. Yeah man, I build myself up and then back out all the time, reading laptop and desktop reviews was too much stress, finding a good one then read a review cursing it to hell was demoralizing lolol. So I'm gonna attempt to save cash and stress and build my own. I'm gonna try not to worry about what's around the corner, everything ends up 2x better in about 2 years anyway so I'm gonna buy hard when I get the cash and worry later 8-) Haha. Thanks for the help bro, it's taken quite a bit of work off my shoulders. I'm more looking forward to choosing a case than anything else lmfao they all look so damn cool lol.




  10. #10
    Senior Member Siikez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,113
    Haha yeah hella sucks for me. But for sure, it'll be months of preparation before then though. Again thanks for the help fam!

    Quote Originally Posted by Se7en01

    haha. cosign on everything you just said, except the fact that you have to pay extra for being foreign. that kinda sucks for you let me know when you finally build it, or post some pics or something. let me know if you need anymore help.



    Quote Originally Posted by Siikez

    Ah, dope, yeah I was gonna try to go with a quadcore, I'll keep checkin around and build myself a list. I have a feeling I'm gonna have to end up paying NZ prices for the parts That'll be another 1500 ontop of the 2000 lol. Yeah man, I build myself up and then back out all the time, reading laptop and desktop reviews was too much stress, finding a good one then read a review cursing it to hell was demoralizing lolol. So I'm gonna attempt to save cash and stress and build my own. I'm gonna try not to worry about what's around the corner, everything ends up 2x better in about 2 years anyway so I'm gonna buy hard when I get the cash and worry later 8-) Haha. Thanks for the help bro, it's taken quite a bit of work off my shoulders. I'm more looking forward to choosing a case than anything else lmfao they all look so damn cool lol.




Similar Threads

  1. computer question??
    By Gareth in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-27-2011, 02:26 AM
  2. C-LIM IS BUILDING A MOVEMENT!
    By BrandonMills in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-17-2011, 07:10 PM
  3. Building a Merch Crew
    By Justin378 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-06-2010, 12:45 AM
  4. If you computer smart hit me up..
    By Techn9cian4life in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-13-2010, 08:21 AM
  5. My Computer !!! =(
    By $~BiG~LeWiS~$ in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-26-2009, 12:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •