Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can somebody please explain the Jay Rock thing to me?

Can somebody please explain the Jay Rock thing to me?

I've been a fan of Strange Music for a while now and I've seen artist come and go(Cognito, Young Bleed, Critical Bill, etc), but I don't understand the Jay Rock situation. The guy hasn't put out an album in 2 years, hardly has features on tracks with other Strange artist, and simply never talks about his deal ever. Can anybody please explains this to me?

We know as much as you do.

Is it confusing to you too though

Extremely. That's why I don't put thought into it. We will just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Roan
    Is it confusing to you too though

At paid dues said hes working on a CD

He's working on a new album, and his name is still on the website, so I'd assume all is good. untill something changes

I heard the rumor that everyone else did that he supposedly signed a new 2 album deal with strange. What I dont get is that before that was floated out there it was already confirmed that Black Hippy had signed with Interscope and will release all their solo albums as well as any potential Black Hippy album through them. I obviously just know as much as the next guy buy if his next album blows up coming off the Hype of Kendrick and Schoolboy (and potentially Ab-Soul but haven't seen any updates on him droppin an album any time soon) he could potentially become a bigger artist that Tech. Thats not a diss at all but think about it...Kendrick is already WAAAAAY bigger than Tech as far as mass mainstream appeal and obviously theres the major label support and Dre co-sign which didn't hurt. Then Schoolboy is building up a ton of buzz. I figure if Oxymoron is an instant ic and sells hundreds of thousands of copies like GKMC then Jay Rock can build off that buzz and blow the fuck up in the Mainstream. He already has more people taking notice after his verse on Money Trees. He is really more of a fit for mainstream anyway and if nothing else proves that then just look at his weak ass sales numbers for Follow Me Home. Tech's casual fans never support other Strange artists the way they do Tech but they clearly weren't too into Jay Rock cause they weren't coppin the album and lots of people on here didn't like its mainstream feel. Either way Im ranting, I was just thinking about this after Tech opened for Black Hippy at Paid Dues, Jay could potentially be way bigger than the man who helped launch his career (and yes I know he was signed to a major first but they shelved his album)

I don't know if i would say that Tech helped Jay Rock LAUNCH his career, but at the time Jay signed to strange that really helped keep him relevant. I had been fallowing Jay Rock since he was with black wallstreet. I feel that Jay Rock is really over looked and underrated. But that is off topic. I'm just saying Jay had a big fallowing way before he was with Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin916

I heard the rumor that everyone else did that he supposedly signed a new 2 album deal with strange. What I dont get is that before that was floated out there it was already confirmed that Black Hippy had signed with Interscope and will release all their solo albums as well as any potential Black Hippy album through them. I obviously just know as much as the next guy buy if his next album blows up coming off the Hype of Kendrick and Schoolboy (and potentially Ab-Soul but haven't seen any updates on him droppin an album any time soon) he could potentially become a bigger artist that Tech. Thats not a diss at all but think about it...Kendrick is already WAAAAAY bigger than Tech as far as mass mainstream appeal and obviously theres the major label support and Dre co-sign which didn't hurt. Then Schoolboy is building up a ton of buzz. I figure if Oxymoron is an instant ic and sells hundreds of thousands of copies like GKMC then Jay Rock can build off that buzz and blow the fuck up in the Mainstream. He already has more people taking notice after his verse on Money Trees. He is really more of a fit for mainstream anyway and if nothing else proves that then just look at his weak ass sales numbers for Follow Me Home. Tech's casual fans never support other Strange artists the way they do Tech but they clearly weren't too into Jay Rock cause they weren't coppin the album and lots of people on here didn't like its mainstream feel. Either way Im ranting, I was just thinking about this after Tech opened for Black Hippy at Paid Dues, Jay could potentially be way bigger than the man who helped launch his career (and yes I know he was signed to a major first but they shelved his album)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Rock Take it for what it's worth. But not everything you can believe.

Tech didn't launch his career.