Thread: "Rockaby" Tech Track Possible Meaning (Off of 'Something Else')

"Rockaby" Tech Track Possible Meaning (Off of 'Something Else')

So listening to Tech tracks and having deep thoughts is a bad combination. Or is it?

I was listening to "Rockabye" and I couldn't help but notice things in the song. Like,

In the intro with Tech and the guy with the deep voice (which I think was Krizz), he kept telling Tech to go to sleep like how people slept on him during most of his career. (Tech was named the most slept on rapper of all time by Complex magazine. (Check article here))

The guy with the deep voice could represent the music industry, putting rappers "to sleep" and choosing who's at the top. Tech describes his frustrations with the music on the radio and famous musicians who suck playing live (Doesn't mention any particular names).

Throughout the song there's mentions of sleep, sleeping and other words that made me think about "The Music Industry" putting other rappers "to sleep" and choosing which ones float to the top.

Overall I think Tech's reason for the song is that "The Music Industry" has "put him to sleep". (Just like the intro) and he's finally going to wake up (or go mainstream) with his hard rocking music, and with his release of SOMETHING ELSE!

So thats what I thought about "Rockaby". Tell me what you thought of the song!

I think you are on the right track but there a few things wrong, i think, with your theory.

When he meets with "Mr. Big" at the begining, he says, "i never invite people to my home, but this is a very special signing". Tech is portraying an artist nowadays getting a record deal that gets all happy and kisses ass to get money, and Krizz is portraying a big wig record producer doing what you said, putting Tech ( as the mainstream artist) to sleep and doing what you said, dozing him off so the industry can do what they want with him.

Anyways thats just what i think, thats what i got from it

Yes thats exactly what I was thinking amazing what happens when you start thinking about the lyric meanings to songs

Quote Originally Posted by troy alan johnson

I think you are on the right track but there a few things wrong, i think, with your theory.

When he meets with "Mr. Big" at the begining, he says, "i never invite people to my home, but this is a very special signing". Tech is portraying an artist nowadays that gets all happy and kisses ass to , and Krizz is portraying a big wig record producer doing what you said, putting Tech (the mainstream artist) to sleep and doing what you said, dozing him off so the industry can do what they want with him.

i agree with both of you!! Song is dope ass fuck, and the way he flows on that beat and the topic is genius... Get' em TECH!!

Quote Originally Posted by troy alan johnson

When he meets with "Mr. Big" at the begining, he says, "i never invite people to my home, but this is a very special signing". Tech is portraying an artist nowadays getting a record deal that gets all happy and kisses ass to get money, and Krizz is portraying a big wig record producer doing what you said, putting Tech ( as the mainstream artist) to sleep and doing what you said, dozing him off so the industry can do what they want with him.

Good topic, garbage song. Techs verses are great but that chorus ruins it for me.

i think hes talking about how lots of these mainstream artist are always on lean and cant perform for shit

I think what he meant was there music is so repetitive and boring it makes him go to sleep. Don't really think theres much more then that to it.

EXACTLY!

Quote Originally Posted by Shane

I think what he meant was there music is so repetitive and boring it makes him go to sleep. Don't really think theres much more then that to it.