Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Own Label

Starting Own Label

hello i am a 16 year old rapper/singer and I want to start my own label, i was thinking i would start off as a sole proprietor and when i start getting bigger either sell my assets to another label and sign with them or convert my own label into an corporation. Now here's the big question about this, me being sixteen am I legally allowed to start my own sole proprietorship? and if i am sued who would be more liable, me or my mom? and how hard is it to get my albums marketed to local stores? and at last would
    I have to pay individual taxes since i would be running a sole propietorship? please, I need some business, accountant, and law minds to help me out here, thank you for reading this.

I'd sah you have to have talent before any of this. You've managed to leave your music out which would give us some insight on the subject. I wouldn't worry about getting ahead of yourself, just make your music and develop a fan base first.

for supply there must be demand... start with your own website and T shirts, C.Ds,w/e you can put your name

on

You're getting way too ahead of yourself bro. And anyway, IF you happen to ever get a big enough name for yourself to even create your own label, its certainly going to take longer than it is for you to turn 18. So the question of legality now is pretty pointless. Focus on music if that's what you want to do.

Do some mixtapes, throw em on Datpiff, promote the shit out of em on-line and get a buzz going...selling product is down the road.

thank you for all your opinions, i just gotta get my own computer and i'm gonna be putting all my shit out, but i just wanna know what would be better when i do get to that point, what would be a better idea? just continue with my label and convert to a corporation? or sell my assets to a label and sign with them? (Strange Music Inc, Shady Records etc)....... well thats more of a self question now, thanks fellow Technicians!! #StrangeFam

thank you for all your opinions, i just gotta get my own computer and i'm gonna be putting all my shit out, but i just wanna know what would be better when i do get to that point, what would be a better idea? just continue with my label and convert to a corporation? or sell my assets to a label and sign with them? (Strange Music Inc, Shady Records etc)....... well thats more of a self question now, thanks fellow Technicians!! #StrangeFam

hey Planet Pandamonium, whats the link to that site?

datpiff.com

Quote Originally Posted by Prosperous N9ne
    hey Planet Pandamonium, whats the link to that site?

No offense meant but if you can't even find the datpiff website than you are getting way to far ahead of yourself. If you want to be serious about the music thing than you must get a fanbase first and put out quality music, nothing else should be a concern at all for a while.