Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Beginning Rappers

For Beginning Rappers

This post is directed to beginning rappers and Jimmy Nims.

Let's start with the basic.

Ryhming: (1 syllibal ryhme: He - Be) (2 syllibal: Practice - Actress) (3 syllibal: contraption - Abortion)

You could do a (off ryhme: Loaf - Enough) or you could ryhme like this (Smack - Slap)

Bar: A bar is basically each line that you write. The length of the bar's depends on the beat. Going by each two times you hear the same drum hit could be your bar.

Flow: The rythem of witch you say the words. I see some rap songs where they switch it every four bars.

Now to the advanced.

Practice: Expand your ryhming vocabulary by doing word puzzles, freestyling, or ect. Think of different ways to say your bar's. Write to a instrumental on youtube or something.

Creativity: Be original (The rest is up to you on this part)

Time: Your proble not gonna start writing crazy shit right away. Just keep on trying until you finally get it.

Feel free to add to this, and good luck Jimmy Nims on your long journy.

Let me start by saying I am not a rapper and I don't pretend to be one by any means. With that said, being a fan of all music (except R&B just cant do it) I will say the one thing that I think is more important in Rap/Hip Hop than any other genre is writing about shit you ACTUALLY know about/do in your daily life/ experience etc. Don't talk about swag and fucking bitches of you've had sex with less than 10 people in the last year. Don't talk about selling drugs if you've never done it or seen it done on a daily basis. Don't talk about the hood if your from the suburbs. Don't talk about being poor if you attend Private school and drive a BMW and Mommy and Daddy pay for everything. And probably the MOST frustrating thing ever, no matter your skin color please DO NOT rap in a "gangsta" accent/ pronounce words in a way that you don't normally say them in! The fake always gets discovered and eventually outed especially in the age of the internet so just do like Strange Music and speak about your life please!

I sound like shit, I'll stick to beats, lol

I don't necessarily think "keeping it real" is very important. Why does music have to be true to be good? Eminem used to rap about killing people and stuff, but he's admitted to never doing any of that. Does that make his music bad? Not in my opinion.

Oh and, "contraption/abortion"? I mean, I get that they both end in "-tion", but still..... bad example. A better one would be "contortion/abortion".

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Acevedo
    Let me start by saying I am not a rapper and I don't pretend to be one by any means. With that said, being a fan of all music (except R&B just cant do it) I will say the one thing that I think is more important in Rap/Hip Hop than any other genre is writing about shit you ACTUALLY know about/do in your daily life/ experience etc. Don't talk about swag and fucking bitches of you've had sex with less than 10 people in the last year. Don't talk about selling drugs if you've never done it or seen it done on a daily basis. Don't talk about the hood if your from the suburbs. Don't talk about being poor if you attend Private school and drive a BMW and Mommy and Daddy pay for everything. And probably the MOST frustrating thing ever, no matter your skin color please DO NOT rap in a "gangsta" accent/ pronounce words in a way that you don't normally say them in! The fake always gets discovered and eventually outed especially in the age of the internet so just do like Strange Music and speak about your life please!

point taken ^^^ guess it would depend on the your going for. I love em and still consider Marshal Mathers LP one of the best rap albums of all time.

contraption and abortion do not rhyme....except one syllable..which doesnt make it a 3-syllable rhyme lol.

I agree with Alex and disagree with John, when somebody sings, raps, or performs anything it HAS to be coming from a real place for me to "believe" you. If you're just saying shit to say it it does not have NEARLY the same kind of impact as when you are talking about things you actually know about. When you're telling the truth and being 100% honest people will know and feel it.

t.y. this might be fun

Exactly what I was thinking. To me a rapper is like a pro wrestler, in that they use their life and personality, but amp it up for creative purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crazy Englishman!
    One example of Eminem talking about killing someone, Kim, so it can still be personal, even if exaggerated. Lynch talks about eating/killing/doing just about anything crazy to people, but he still manages to make it come from a real point of view. And taking on a persona, like some rappers do, allows you to be real when coming from a different direction. Theres a big difference between acting like you personally are rich as fuck, and pretending to be someone who is rich as fuck so you can portray something you couldn't before.

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe

I don't necessarily think "keeping it real" is very important. Why does music have to be true to be good? Eminem used to rap about killing people and stuff, but he's admitted to never doing any of that. Does that make his music bad? Not in my opinion.

Oh and, "contraption/abortion"? I mean, I get that they both end in "-tion", but still..... bad example. A better one would be "contortion/abortion".

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Acevedo

anyone else wanna contribute to the wall of help for beginning rappers?