Thread: Holla at your congressman about this

Holla at your congressman about this

From time to time I check out the congress' website http://thomas.loc.gov Today I found an important bill that needs to pass. If you give a fuck about jobs this would be a good bill to support. It was introduced on January 5, 2011. H.R. 29 To provide for the withdrawal of the United States from the North American Free Trade Agreement. If this bill is enacted the approval of the NAFTA by the Congress shall cease to be effective beginining six months after the enactment of this bill. On the date of the enactment of this act, The President shall provide to the governments of Canada and Mexico written notice of the withdrawal

of the United States from NAFTA. Thank you for reading this.

how would this affect jobs? i don't think this trade agreement has a significant affect on it. maybe i'm wrong i dunno i don't follow trade agreements particularly closely

NAFTA affected jobs in this country by (1)preventing us from being able to spend tax dollars only on locally produced goods (2) limiting our ability to put quotas on what we import from other countries (3) enabling a situation to be created in which we import far more than we export. (4) allowing companies to sue the governments of the U.S., Canada, and Mexico if they feel their profits have been restricted (5) creating a trinational tribunal to deal with disputes giving our tax money as rewards to the companies that win the disputes and giving foreign companies the ability to challenge and overturn labor laws.(6) lowering tariffs on foreign goods. Since NAFTA we have lost 3 million manufacturing jobs becoming a service-based economy. Wages have fallen. Companies have moved to other countries where they can pay workers far less to do the same work. We can no longer act in our own best interests, instead we must act in concert with other countries. If you look at it the current global recession began in the countries NAFTA was initially intended to merge together. Getting rid of this agreement would allow our government to act in the interest of American citizens instead of the "world community".