More than a decade of independent success, and Strange Music still carries the same “F.T.I.” attitude that captured the respect of fans back in 2002.
In the midst of Tech N9ne’s emergence into the mainstream consciousness and the bubbling success of recently signed artists CES Cru and Rittz, Strange Music CEO Travis O’Guin hasn’t forgotten about the guerrilla tactics that got the Snake and Bat to where it is today, and he’s taking things a step further.
Not only did Travis commission an explosive free sampler containing tracks from every 2013 Strange Music release, he’s printed out 500,000 physical copies and is dispatching Street Teams across the country to hand them out to local business, record stores, basically any establishment that will accept them.
In a recent interview with HipHopDX, Travis addressed his defiant approach to marketing:
The intention is, when I do 500,000 samplers—I mean if you think about it, too. I’m spending like $180,000 of our own money to go ahead and do these samplers and then give them away for free. A lot of people would be like, ‘Oh, wait a minute. You’re going to spend $180,000 on 500,000 samplers and then give them away for free?’ The answer is “absolutely.”
Since the arrival of the half a million free samplers, Strange Music street teamers have been hard at work distributing these 25-track physical freebies! Below we’ve included a short list of establishments around the country that currently have physical copies available.
We’ll update it as frequently as possible, and you guys can help us by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know if you find samplers somewhere in your city that isn’t already listed!
– Factory Edge Clothing (inside Coranado Mall) / Albuquerque
– Fanz (inside Coranado Mall) / Albuquerque
– Spencers (inside Coranado Mall) / Albuquerque
– Mar-Iguana’s Smoke Shop / Espanola
– The Vapor Store / Espanola
– The Zone / Albuquerque
– Security Finance / Edgewood
– Record Round Up / Albuquerque
– Joe’s Smoke Shop / Albuquerque
– Rags To Riches Smokeshop / Albuquerque
– Bout Ta Bubble – Bath Bombs & More / Edgewood
– Beyond The Limit / Norridge
– Rolling Stones (Irving Park) / Norridge
– Guitar Center / Reno
– Still Smokin’ Smoke Shop / Reno
– Quik Mart Gas Station (Ralson & 4th) / Reno
– Speedy-Mart Gas Station (Vista & Baring) / Sparks
– Hippies Smoke Shop / Sparks
-Up in Smoke / Denver
-Marleys / Denver
-Heads of State / Denver
-303 BarberShop / Denver
-Big Daddy’s Pizza / Denver
-Original Chubby’s / Denver
-Bubba Chinos / Denver
-Purple Haze / Denver
-Home Sweet Home / Denver
-Smoke Signals / Denver
-Southwest Alternative Care / Denver
-Cosmo’s Pizza / Denver
-Co-Op Records / Davenport
– Rasputin’s Music / Stockton
-Exclusive Company- Southridge
-Exclusive Company- West Bend
-Atomic Tattoo- North and Cambridge
-Atomic Glass- Locust and Oakland
-World Class Tattoo- 27th and Euclid
-Godfather Electronics- 1400 W North Ave
-Spencers- Mayfair mall and Southridge mall
-Hot Topic- Mayfair mall and Southridge mall
-My Music Man- 35th and Silver Spring
-Cd Max- Southridge
Click HERE to download a digital copy of the Independent Powerhouse Sampler!
Holler at us in the comments below!